Friday, June 18, 2010

BACK AT THE BEGINNING . . .

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing
but in having the strength to rise up every time we fall"

My husband and I first got together when we were 12 years old. Little did we know at that time that we would one day be husband and wife but he was my best friend and we were 'together' for a whole year. This 'relationship' mostly consisted of sitting next to each other in class sharing my little handheld radio and sneakily listening to live cricket matches or me being the doting girlfriend sunbaking on the beach while he showed off his surfing skills. We also went on one random overnight camping trip (that neither of our parents had a clue about) with two friends  and boy were we WAY too young to be wandering off two and a half hours around the coastline into the middle of nowhere during a storm that he (gazing into the clouds and with all the knowledge of a young surfie stated would 'clear up in no time'!) He was right about that but I'm still not sure it was the smartest move given the bulls that lived along that coastline and that we were too young and stupid to know better than to put out our fire with our only fresh water instead of the seawater! Needless to say we were dehydrated by the time we got home but it is a fantastic memory we share and we had the time of our young lives. By the end of that school year and the summer before high school we 'broke up' (apparently I held hands with another 12 year old boy but that is a whole other story!) We spent our teens at the same high school but avoided one another like the plague as he made it very clear that he wanted nothing to do with me. To cut a long story short, when we were 21 years old (yes, it took us 9 years to kiss and make up!) we started off back down the tentative path to friendship. Within a few months of coming back into each others lives he proposed and I accepted. It was a very intense time as my mum was in the hospital at the time suffering through the last stages of breast cancer and he was my rock. I couldn't have got through it without him by my side and we have never been apart since (well, except for my 3 month Contiki bus tour around Europe!)

We were married in January 2006 and waited two years to start a family so we could spend some time just the two of us as a newly married couple and buy a house. By January 2008 we were ready! This was going to be easy . . . or so we thought! We honestly believed (probably as every infertile couple on the planet does) that this was going to be a piece of cake. I had always been fascinated by the concept of infertility, I couldn't think of anything more heartbreaking than being told you wouldn't be able to have children and the concept of IVF seemed so alien and something that celebrities did to have a family when they had left it too late. We were young and healthy though so it never crossed our minds that we would become one of 'those' couples. Who knew that within 2 years we would be finding out firsthand the reality of this crazy last resort of In-Vitro Fertilisation and I would be jabbing myself with needles day and night in our quest to become parents. It has been a long two and half years of trying everything under the sun and we are still in the process. This blog is my way of sharing our journey with everyone who is interested - those of you who are on the same heartbreaking journey, those of you who are just starting off down this road,  those of you who had a small taste, those of you who have never had trouble concieving but wish to have a little insight into the plight of friends or family who are experiencing infertility firsthand but most of all this is my way of keeping my sanity by writing down how I am feeling as I go through this journey.  I am optimistic. I hope one day in the near future that we will achieve our dream. I pray that somewhere out there their is a baby that is waiting to become a part of our little family. I hope you enjoy my blog and sharing in our journey to parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK