Thursday, June 2, 2011

CHEEKY LITTLE MONKEY

We had a scan today as I had mentioned to my midwife that I felt I was carrying really small and she booked me in a scan to double check and put my mind at ease (this is why I love my midwife - not only that but she was just let out of hospital yesterday and yet she still arranged this for me AND came into work today just to see us! Now that is dedication).

Anyway, turns out my fears were not founded on anything because baby is measuring 35w2d and I am 35w3d, so spot on! 

However . . . we had the unexpected surprise of finding out that our cheeky little monkey has turned and is now breech! This came as a shock because I fully thought he was engaged due to the pain I had been having walking. Because I am only closing in on the 36 week mark there is still time for him to turn back, but I have an appointment at the hospital on Thursday to see if he is still breech. We discussed the option of turning him which I didn't like the sound of at all as the risks just sounded too great, so we have chosen to go for an elective c-section if he doesn't turn on his own.

Fingers crossed he was just having a naughty day and will be head down again within a week! 

12 comments:

  1. You should check out the website spinningbabies.com lots of tips for turning baby back round. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in your shoes very recently! What 'kind' of breech is he? If he's a favourable kind (i.e. not a footling) and there's good fluid around him etc then I'd definitely recommend trying the ECV - it turned my little girl last week (at 37 weeks). You're both monitored before and after the procedure. They have to tell you all the risks, but it was quick, painless, and successful :) And another positive - I had basically instant relief of all my pelvic pain once she turned, a week on and I'm still feeling really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Haidee,
    Ethan was breech and we didn't like the sound of the ECV either, we were booked in for accupuncture, apparently they have a 95% success rate.. Ethan came before the appointment though.. Might be something to think about?
    Good luck,
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that your measuring spot on! I hope the cheeky monkey does turn and you get to experience labour and birth. However don't be afraid of a c-section. Anything that delivers a baby safely is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe play it some music like, "You spin me right round" By dead or Alive or "Total eclipse of my heat" By Bonnie Tyler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had heard stories about the ECV prior to finding out it was something we would need to consider and I decided right then and there that I wouldn't risk it. Not only because of the risks involved but the idea makes me extremely anxious so my midwife even said she thought it best that we didn't, as a distressed mummy makes for a distressed baby which would help neither of us. We will just have to hope he turns on his own, I have faith!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in the exact same situation - 35w2d, and my lo is frank breech, bum down. I don't like the risks of the manipulation, and have told my doctor I'd rather schedule a c-section if required. Let's hope both or little ones turn soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That little punk! Flipping upside down on you this late in the game!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great that your little one is growing well :) Our toddler was breech and we went through all the risk thing too.... just far too risky :(( She didn't turn and we had an elective CS which went really well. Hope your little one turns... there's still time :)) Thinking of you always xoxo

    newyearmum2blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Little buggar!! Turn bub turn! Sorry you have this stress to the end of your brilliant pregnancy. Smack his bum when he comes out! As long as he is happy and healthy, doesn't matter how they are made or how they are born...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your midwife is awesome! I'm so glad you got the scan to ease your mind. Hopefully little boy will be turned back around the right way soon! My girl was tilted to the side, and she didn't staighten out until the day of delivery. I've heard the turning thing is quite painful, though, so like you I would've chosen a c-section if she hadn't turned.

    ReplyDelete

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK