Wednesday, December 14, 2011

WEIGHTY ISSUES

During pregnancy your body changes. For the most part, once that bump starts to take shape we embrace and love the changes taking place as our body expands and grows this perfect little human.

Fast forward 9 months and after giving birth you are left with a body shape that is somewhat different to what it once was. I found while going through the IVF process that I gained about 5kg above and beyond what I was when we decided to start TTC. Add to that the 9kg I gained while pregnant and I have quite a bit to lose to get back to the me I once was. So far I have lost 7kg but I can't budge the rest of it. For some reason I thought it would be easier than it is proving to be. I eat like a sparrow and yet nothing gives. In fact, I have actually gained back a kilo I lost in the last few weeks. Of course, Christmas being just around the corner certainly doesn't help!

So, what I want to know from those ladies who have been there, what is a realistic time frame to lose the baby weight? And do you ever go back to what you once were? Any tips?

6 comments:

  1. i got told 9 months to gain, 9 months to lose. but everyone is different i guess. i still have 10 id like to lose. but at this time of year, i think its all about maintaining. so hard to lose when there is so much food and drink around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really seems like everyone is different. I managed to gain 18 kg while pregnant and I'm thinking quite a lot of it was water as 11 kg was gone within 2 weeks of giving birth. The next 7 kg came off (which was definitely fat, lol) by 4 months postpartum without doing anything other than going out on long walks with baby on fine days- I didn't diet at all since I'm breastfeeding, I'm sure that's helped get and keep the weight off!

    Was so pleased to get back into my pre-preg jeans etc! I am pretty much the same shape now as before, with a bit of extra skin on my tummy though, I don't think anyone gets out completely unscathed! Have a great Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 9 month rule is what I lived by. I didn't have a drama, and now you are at work you won't either. I danced to to Wiggles with B, and wasn't a mum to sit and drink coffee and feed my face while Play School or Hi5 were on. Gets tempting when Cohen is eating solids, as you may eat his scraps. So be weary of that trap. (.)(.)s never go back as high and perky, never!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I cant obviously comment as not there yet but when I am on the other side I will ask the same thing...but people have told me yes it takes 9 months to put it on ...9 months to lose it but yes all our metabolisms are different but I do be envious of those women who are not normal and become skinnier then they were before having baby due to overactive thyroid..I definately have underactive thyroid and easily put weight on...so Im not putting any pressure on a time frame of maybe 12 months would be nice ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help either BUT I just wanted to tell you I thought you looked fab when we met up!xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you Haidee, the post baby body gets you down. I too had put on weight during the IVF process, and then put on about 17kg during pg. 13kg fell off almost straight away but the last 4 are staying put. I know it's only been 7 weeks but I'm breastfeeding and I often don't get to eat during the day and nothing's happening. I reckon the breastfeeding/lose weight thing is a croc, it's just a ploy to try to get you to breastfeed. Ok, I know it works for some but..... And I'm so much wider around the hip/stomach area, probably due to the extra fat roll that I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to get rid of.

    So to sum up, I can't get clothes I like to fit properly and it's depressing. And if I ever do lose the last 4 kilos, I then have to start on the IVF ones! Wish me luck. Love Tan!

    ReplyDelete

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK